Having data backups are only good if you can restore them! And while we hope you never have to - here are a few ways to restore your data in case it all goes wrong.
Restore 3 ways
You always have options when it comes to restoring your data with Rewind. We don't store your data as a single large file, rather we backup every piece of information as its own item. This enables you to:
- Restore a single item at a time (like a product, customer, or journal entry)
- Restore an entire category of items at once (like ALL your customers, or ALL your transactions)
- Restore the entire account back to an earlier day
Restoring a single item
The vault is your ultimate tool for finding your data. What may at first appear to be a random list of all your data can actually be a vast library of your information and how it used to look.
1. Use the Filters Button to narrow down your search and choose 'active' or 'deleted' to search for items that still exist, or items that were deleted to find what you're looking for.
Note: The screenshot above is specific to items in a Shopify e-commerce store. Your filter view may have different items.
2. Once you have your item - click "View Versions" to see what versions we have of it.
A note on backups: Although we run a backup program every day - we do not necessarily take a new backup of every item every day. This would result in a lot of redundant, identical files. Instead we take a new backup whenever an item is updated. This is why you may see in your 'versions' gaps between your backups.
3. Select a version. Each date corresponds to a version of your item and the day we backed it up. In our example I want to restore the version of this page from March 8th.
This will automatically begin the restore of your item. It should only take a few moments.
Restoring a whole category
There are times when you may want to undo changes to an entire category of items. Most common accidents are imports gone wrong using comma-separated value files (CSV). These CSVs can overwrite data on a whole bunch of things. Here's how to recover a whole category.
1. On the main page you have two options: All Items and Advanced Restore. Click the Advanced Restore tab
2. Select the category of items you're looking to restore to an earlier state. Keep in mind - this will initiate a restore job for ALL of the items in that category.
Note: This items view is specific to QuickBooks Online. Your "Items to restore" list may have different items on it.
3. Choose the date you want to roll back to - this is easiest if you try to remember when they were last 'ok'. Select the date then click "Restore Items"
IMPORTANT NOTE: For QuickBooks Online clients the Advanced Restore feature triggers a request for a manual restore. A member of our team will reach out for more details to continue the process.
Sometimes little accidents happen, and sometimes they're NOT so little. When the worst occurs and you're not sure where to start, an account rewind will get you back to basics and reset the whole thing.
If you need to restore your entire account this can also be done from the Advanced Restore tab
1. Click on the Advanced Restore Tab
2. For the entire account - select "All Items"
3. Select the date and time and click "Restore Items"
IMPORTANT NOTE: Account Restorations are currently only automatic for Shopify clients. For QuickBooks Online and BigCommerce clients this will trigger a manual data request and Support will reach out for more information about your restoration.
We are always working on creating more automation for all of our restorations - if we are performing manual restorations for you it's because we are wanting to ensure the best possible results in your restoration.